Quick Links

Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Main Navigation


Homeless Policy

Front Page > breadcrumbs: Administration > breadcrumbs: Homeless Policy >


Ajax Loading Image


Homeless Policy

March 06, 2023

The McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children and Youth (EHCY) program, which is administered by the U.S. Department of Education's Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, indicates that State Educational Agencies (SEAs) must ensure that homeless children and youths have equal access to the same free, appropriate public education, including a public preschool education, as is provided to other children and youths. The SEA and Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) in the State must review and revise any laws, regulations, practices, or policies that may act as barriers to the identification, enrollment, attendance, or success in school of homeless children and youths. Homeless students must also have access to the education and other services that they need to meet the same challenging State academic standards to which all students are held.


You might qualify for assistance through a federal law called the McKinney -Vento Act if your family lives in the following:

   In a Shelter

   In a motel or campground due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodation

   In a car, park, abandoned building, or bus or train station

   Doubled-up with other people due to loss of housing or economic hardship

 Who can I talk with about my child's education?

1. Every school district has a local homeless education liaison.

 Laura Campbell is the liaison for Bethel Grade School District #82. Please contact her by email at lcampbell@bethelschool.net or phone at 618-244-8095.

 2. Talk with your child's teachers when you enroll him or her in school. Meet with them on a regular basis to discuss your child's academic progress.

 3. Meet with the school counselor to discuss the best interventions to use to assist with any changes or challenges he or she is facing.

 4. The school principal, attendance officer, bus driver, social worker, school nurse, or district staff can all provide valuable assistance. Please reach out to them as needed.



National Center for Homeless Education, [n.d.], What you need to know to help your child in school, https://nchehelpline.org/collections/limit-5/products/parent-booklet-english.https://www.neoga.k12.il.us/ 


Back To Top